I’ve only been on two rollercoasters in my life. First, a tiny rollercoaster near Glasgow.
And the second was the fastest rollercoaster in the world… The Red Formula in Abu Dhabi.
I was in Abu Dhabi on a work trip and we went to Ferrari World. Early on in the trip, I said I wouldn’t be riding it with the rest of the group, after my first rollercoaster experience.
Rewind to when I was 15. My friend (who loves rollercoasters) wanted to sit in the front and I agreed for some reason.
I dropped the f bomb all the way. Especially the line.
18 years later and I’m wearing goggles on the Red Formula.
Goggles? Why the hell do I need goggles?! How fast is this thing?
It turns out that the Formula Rossa accelerates from 0-149 mph in 4.9 seconds… Oh boy. How do F1 drivers cope!? It actually reaches 4.8Gs.
Nothing can prepare you for the acceleration. In mid-acceleration, the ringing in the ears changed to a high-pitched ringing. I don’t even remember seeing all of that.
Before I knew it, we were climbing the slope. Such is the force, my torso jerks forward. I was stuck at an angle of 45 degrees. I couldn’t react back until I hit the top of the slope.
After that, it was just a series of highs (of 52m) and lows. I actually enjoyed this part of the ride as I could finally relax. So really the only thrilling part of the ride is the initial acceleration.
So, how scary is the fastest rollercoaster in the world? Not so scary. I found Hyperspace Mountain in Disneyland Paris more awesome!
Overall, I’m glad I can say I did!
Here are the 10 fastest rollercoasters in the world
- Formula Red – Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi – 149 mph
- Kingda Ka – Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey – 128 mph
- Top Thrill Dragster – Cedar Point, Ohio – 120 mph
- Red Force – Ferrari Land, Spain – 112 mph
- Dodonpa – Fuji-Q Highland, Japan – 107 mph
- Intimidator 305 – Kings Dominion, Virginia – 90 mph
- Millennium Force – Cedar Point, Ohio – 93 mph
- Steel Dragon 2000 – Nagashima Spa Land, Japan – 95 mph
- Leviathan – Canada’s Wonderland, Ontario – 92 mph
- Fury 325 – Carowinds, North Carolina – 95 mph